I have always wanted to create a reading project titled Books About Art and Artists. That’s because whenever I read a good book about an artist, I wished that such books would reach more people. And of course, I think that literature and art are among the things that make people the happiest. The happiness factor increases when these two come together. This is exactly why I created this reading project, and I will make sure it will be an amazing one. I want to share with you every book I discover along the way. I hope you’ll share your favourite books about art and artists with me as well.
Books About Art and Artists will be a project only about arts and artists. But what is art? There is no consensus about the answer to this question. If you do not want to confuse yourself, only painting, sculpture, and architecture would be enough. However, the purpose of this project is to be happy and discover new worlds. So what you want to read is entirely up to you. As for the types of books about art and artists, there will be no limits on this as well. There are academic books, novels, plays, books with just pictures and many more. You can choose whatever you want as long as you involve art in your daily lives.
Okay but, what is art for? I have Alain de Botton to give you the answer here. And, of course, a few links where you can reach free articles and books would be a cool treat. Wouldn’t you say?
Getty Publications Virtual Library
Getty Research Portal
Books About Art and Artists
I plan to read a lot of fiction about artists cause I believe its the best way to peak into their lives (even if it’s only slightly real or purely fiction).
- What I Loved – Siri Hustvedt
- The Moon and Sixpence – W. Somerset Maugham
- Girl With a Pearl Earring – Tracy Chevalier
- The Agony and the Ecstasy – Irving Stone
- Bohemian Paris – Dan Franck
- An Object of Beauty – Steve Martin
- The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt
- The Paris Wife – Paula McLain
- Me and Kaminski – Daniel Kehlmann
- The Matisse Stories – A. S. Byatt
- The Unknown Masterpiece – Honoré de Balzac
- In the Casa Azul – Meaghan Delahunt
I will also read biographies, memoirs, academic books, essays and many more. There is nothing like a good non-fiction book. I’m sure I’ll discover many with this reading project.
- To See Clearly, Why Ruskin Matters – Suzanne Cooper
- Art – Laurie Schneider Adams
- Nineteenth-Century Art – Laurie Schneider Adams
- Civilisations – Mary Beard
- Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth – Catherine McIlwaine
- Art as Therapy – Alain de Botton & John Armstrong
- 50 Art Ideas You Really Need to Know – Susie Hodge
- On Art and Life – John Ruskin
Vincent van Gogh
Vincent van Gogh is my favourite artist of all time. I’ve read many books about him, and I’m sure I’ll read a lot more. So he gets to have his own corner here on this page.
- Van Gogh’s Ear – Bernadette Murphy
- Lust for Life – Irving Stone
- Sunflowers – Sheramy Bundrick
- Leaving Van Gogh – Carol Wallace
Do you read books about art and artists? Are there any books you would like to share with the people visiting this page? And, hey, maybe you can join me in looking at a piece of art each day, every day for at least a minute. I find it highly meditative and informative. I use the free DailyArt app as it offers a piece of fine art every day with just enough information about it.
I also follow art-related profiles on Instagram and Twitter. But, mostly, I just choose one of my many books about art and artists and randomly open a page. This is the best and the most entertaining way to discover art cause you can read it as your daily horoscope. Please give it a go; it is fun! Enjoy!